I am a freelance composer, animateur, educator, conductor and writer. My work aims to encourage creative participation in music making: to enjoy it as an enlivening group activity for all-comers, and one in which participants can discover their own creative musical identity.
I’m always interested in taking part in unusual, creative projects, collaborating with creative people from all artforms and in a variety of contexts.
Browse the website to see the sorts of things I do, or go straight to the other work and media page for a selection of audio and video extracts!
And get in touch: it would be lovely to hear from you!
- New animated Film: www.pearlyoyster.com/roger-ballens-theatre-of-apparitions-trailer/ , playing at several film festivals in the summer, before official release in September.
- Performance of Concerto for Accordion, Clarinet and Strings at Burton Bradstock Festival, 19th August 2016 www.burtonbradstockfestival.com/
- New set of Responses written for St John the Divine Children’s Choir St John’s College Cambridge, 3pm 31st July 2016
- Create, Cultivate Orchestrate with the Academy of St Martin’s in the Fields. Performance 6pm 29th July Canary Wharf Park www.asmf.org/whats-on/create-cultivate-orchestrate-newham/
- Universe of Sound with South Bank Centre and Philharmonia Orchestra September 24th to October 2nd www.philharmonia.co.uk/universeofsound
- Primary School project with Oxford Lieder Festival. Performance Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford, 5pm, 14th October www.oxfordlieder.co.uk/education
Encounters Film Festival (Bristol) 22nd September www.encounters-festival.org.uk/events/late-lounge-18/
London Film Festival 12th October www.whatson.bfi.otg.uk/lff/talesofmysteryandimagination
- Primary school project with the Little Missenden Festival www.little-missenden.org
- Sing a Story with Wigmore Hall and Music in the Round www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/wigmore-series/schools-events
- Working with Mindful Music www.mindfulmusic.london/
- Create, Cultivate, Orchestrate with Academy of St Martins in the Fields and Joshua Bell www.asmf.org/whats-on/
- Mentor for LEYMN (London Early Years Music Network) www.sound-connections.org.uk
- Lead artist for Create’s Nurturing Talent intiative http://createarts.org.uk/
- Live performance of U-turn’s new animation, created by participants createarts.org.uk//
- Song-writing project with homeless adults at Deptford Reach
- LPO’s Sound Journeys project with deaf students at Thomas Tallis School www.tallisdeaf.com
- Presentation at LEYMN annual conference storify.com/Sconnections/
- Working with the Philharmonia Orchestra’s Strike a Chord with Octagon Theatre in Yeovil www.octagon-theatre.co.uk/ Watch the project film at https://vimeo.com/175717475/
- Music for Roger Ballen’s Theatre of Apparitions premiered at Edinburgh International Film Festival 23rd June 2016 http://www.pearlyoyster.com